Monton indicates a Saxon origin. Monton used to be called Mawinga after an Anglo-Saxon warrior who lived in a settlement in this area in 1214. It was changed at a later to Mawnton then present-day to Monton. Ton means settlement in Saxon.

In 1895 the use of Monton Green was conveyed to Eccles Corporation with the condition that the Corporation “would not permit or suffer the land to be used in a manner that public worship or religious instruction in Monton Church or the Sunday School attached to it should be in any way restricted, disturbed or interfered with”. In addition, Eccles Corporation was bound to maintain the roads around and across the Green, which were dedicated to public use to remain forever thereafter open. 

The Conservation Area contains Monton Green; the Unitarian Church and a former school with caretaker’s house; a lodge, built in 1875 to the Earl of Ellesmere’s former estate, and a club-house with bowling green. The Green, once used as common land, is now formally laid out as gardens and lawns.

Log in | Powered by White Fuse